RAF Lossiemouth opened in May 1939, with the first flying unit being 15 Flying Training Squadron.
Following the outbreak of World War Two, 20 Operational Training Unit became the major unit on base.
RAF Lossiemouth became a staging location for Anti-Shipping missions, including the famous raid against the German u-boat Tirpitz, involving IX (Bomber) and 617 Squadrons.
In 1946 the Fleet Air Arm took over Lossiemouth and Milltown . It was during this time that the Station was commanded by Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown, a man who still holds many aviation world records to this day.
The station was handed back to the RAF in 1972 and since then the RAF used the Buccaneer, Shackleton, Jaguar and Tornado aircraft, both in training roles and operationally at Lossiemouth.
Between June 2011 and March 2014 14 Squadron, 12 (Bomber) Squadron and 617 Squadron ‘The Dambusters’ were disbanded. The Tornado era ended at RAF Lossiemouth had ended.
In 2013/14, 1 (Fighter) Squadron and 6 Squadron relocated to Moray from RAF Leuchars as the Station prepared to become a Typhoon main operating base.
II (Army Co-operation) Squadron ‘stood-up’ and relocated to RAF Lossiemouth in January 2015. D Flight, 202 Squadron, Search And Rescue disbanded in April 2015. The Strategic Defence and Security Review 2015 announced the future basing of P-8A Poseidon Maritime Patrol Aircraft at RAF Lossiemouth.
From September 2014 RAF Lossiemouth’s primary role has been the provision of Quick Reaction Alert (Interceptor) North. QRA maintains aircraft and crews on high alert in order to scramble and intercept unidentified aircraft approaching UK airspace.
In 2019, IX (Bomber) Squadron was re-roled from flying Tornado at RAF Marham, to Typhoon at RAF Lossiemouth. This meant RAF Lossiemouth was home to four front-line Typhoon Squadrons.
Since 2019, the station has been home to the P-8A Poseidon Maritime Patrol Aircraft with 9 aircraft and CXX and 201 Squadron calling RAF Lossiemouth home.